Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cut Steel Flowers / Blackfield


This is what I am looking at this morning as I put finishing touches on the recycled fiber forms that I will be bringing to NYC for Vogue Knitting Live's art gallery next weekend. These cut steel flowers and botanical silhouettes simply take my breath away. Proof that no complex process is too daunting or out of reach. 

view the installation video here

"London-based artist Zadok Ben David created this incredible installation using 12,000 cut steel botanical specimens modeled from old textbook illustrations, each embedded in a thin layer of sand. On first encountering the sprawling array of plants they appear completely black, thus the installation’s title: Blackfield. However when viewed from the opposite side, a field of black turns into a wall of color." via This is Colossal

A special thanks to photographer Zlatimir Arakliev for the great tip.

1 comment:

Midori said...

Abigail, I just discovered you via Kirsten Muenster (I have a line of eco/luxury jewelry myself), and I'm so glad I did. Your blog is chock full of wonderful gems, and this floral installation is simply breathtaking. Wish i could see it in person!