Monday, April 16, 2012

Earth Week: Fashioning Self and the Environment Day 1

Marshallese navigation chart made out of palm fronds and cowrie shells
Micaela Greg Spring/Summer 2012 California-produced knitwear

It was close to a year ago now that I organized an art, fashion, textile event at the Textile Arts Center in Brooklyn, New York called, 'Fashioning Self and the Environment'. Since then the focus of my visual research and personal art projects have been on ideas related to this theme, with increased focus on the balance between imagery from the natural world, precious materials and resources, and a deeper connection to self.

Ecco*Eco is not really an eco fashion blog at this stage, and I know that a lot of what I post about does not fall within 'sustainability' standards or even green design news. I guess that as an artist and writer my concerns have increasingly shifted to ways that visual awareness (and styling) can bring us closer to a more integrated and inspired dialogue with the environment.

As a celebration and examination of Earth Week 2012, I will be doing very simple pairings of images that speak to me in terms of ways that we might better navigate the fashion landscape. Nothing very scientific really but more poetic in terms of fragile states and audacious solutions.

No comments: